The Building Department is responsible for all building permits, review of submitted plans, issue of permits, and inspections to assure compliance with all applicable building codes. Most building permits are processed within fourteen business days.
How do I apply for Building and Zoning Permits?
Through Newport's Building Portal you can receive instructions and apply online for the following permits:
- 1-2 Family Zoning / Building Application
- Commercial Zoning / Building Application
- 1-2 Family HVAC Application
- Commercial HVAC Application
- Electrical Permit Application.
Hard copy submittals will still be accepted via the drop box at the Newport City Building or by mail:
City of Newport
Attn: Code Enforcement Division
998 Monmouth Street
Newport, KY 41071
What if I still need help?
Our staff will is available to assist with the application process. If you cannot access the online portal for any reason or require other assistance, please contact us at (859) 292-3637 or email Customer Service.
Planning and Zoning
- Board of Adjustment Application (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan - 2015 Update (PDF)
- Newport Comprehensive Plan 2020
- Planning and Zoning Commission Hearing Application (PDF)
- Reasonable Accommodation Ordinance (PDF)
- Reasonable Accommodation Ordinance Amendments (PDF)
- Telecommunications Franchise (PDF)
- Vacant Property Registration (PDF)
- Zoning Map (PDF)
- Zoning Ordinance Changes 2017 and 2018 (PDF)
- Zoning Ordinance PDF (PDF)
- Zoning Permit Application (PDF)
- When is a building permit required?
- What plans do I need to submit for your review?
- How many sets of plans do I need to submit?
- Are there any forms I need to submit with my plans?
- Is there a fee I need to pay, and if so, who do I make the check payable to?
- Are contractors required to be licensed?
- Is an architect or engineer required to prepare my construction drawings?
- Who do I send my plans to?
- Can I do anything to speed up my plan review?
- Do I have to submit plans to the Fire Marshal's Office?