- Divisions & Special Units
- Administration Division
The administration division, commanded by Captain Adam Brown, is the support services branch of the police department, responsible for various tasks that facilitate the overall functions of the agency. Comprised of the Fiscal, Records, Accreditation, Crime Prevention, Special Events, and Training sections, this division handles the majority of the “behind the scenes” activities that keep the more visible divisions of the department operating smoothly.
Sections / Subdivisions
- Records Section: First point of contact for most people visiting the city building
- The staff greets visitors and directs inquiries to the appropriate office or Newport Police Officer.
- Staff process requests for information such as records checks, copies, and reports.
- Data entry occurs within the records section of virtually all records generated by the Police Department, including offense reports, accident reports, arrests, bar registrations, parking tickets, and impound records.
- This section also works with the state regarding data quality of information submitted to the FBI through the National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS).
- Records clerks also assist other agencies in the management of the state-wide offense and arrest records database.
- Fiscal Section: Responsible for overseeing the fiscal affairs of the Police Department. This includes but is not limited to payroll, purchasing, and budget development/management
- Training Section: Schedules and conducts mandated continuing training for department members, maintains training records, and acts as a liaison between the Police Department and court system
- Crime Prevention: Develops and organizes various agency crime prevention program
- Accreditation: Responsible for maintenance of the KACP accreditation program, updating of policies and procedures, planning, and grants management
- Grant Management: Researches, develops, and writes grant proposals to fund departmental needs